Ah, the dog days of summer! Who doesn’t love a good pool party, barbeque or baseball game! This time of year, it is all about spending time outdoors, but the heat can cause some significant issues to your body.
Did you know that in the summer months, there is a higher incidence of dehydration? The main reason for this is due to that beautiful sunshine and heat!
We all know that when we sweat our bodies lose water, and in the summer, we tend to sweat a lot! Our bodies are made of upwards of 60% percent water, and when we lose that water, the result is dehydration. It is essential to stay hydrated in the summertime!
What are the signs of dehydration?
- Thirst– Your body’s first way of telling you it needs water! If you are thirsty, get something to drink!
- Dry Mouth– Dry mouth = dry body!
- Sleepiness & Fatigue– Your body can’t properly rest when it is under stress. Dehydration is a significant stressor to your body. So if you want to catch those coveted ZZZ’s, stay hydrated!
- Decreased urination & dark colored urine– If it’s been more than 2 hours since you’ve had to urinate, it’s a good sign that you are dehydrated! Another key indicator of dehydration is the color of your urine. Remember the color of urine is a late indication of your hydration status, so you are already behind on your fluids. By looking at your urine color, clear or light yellow is best.
- Muscle Weakness & Cramping– When you become dehydrated your body loses key electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium. This loss causes your muscle to “seize up” or cramp. It can also cause your muscles to underperform and feel weak.
- Headache & Dizziness– A mild headache is another one of the first symptoms of dehydration. When the body is dehydrated, the brain can temporarily shrink from fluid loss. This shrinking causes the brain to temporarily pull away from the skull resulting in pain and/or a headache. This same scenario also can cause dizziness.
- Dry Skin– When you are dehydrated your body conserves water for your vital organs, one of the first places that it takes water from is your epidermis, aka your skin! If you want healthy glowing skin, proper hydration is the best medicine!
Heat = Dehydration, but what are other causes?
- Alcohol– While an ice-cold cocktail, complete with a little paper umbrella, might sound good on the beach, it isn’t as refreshing to your body. That’s because alcohol only dehydrates you more. If you can’t barbecue without a brew, drink a bottle of water between each alcoholic beverage to stay hydrated. Alcohol is a diuretic and can make you expel 50% more fluids than you are taking in! This can cause hangovers if you aren’t replacing these needed fluids and minerals.
- Caffeine– Like alcohol, caffeine sucks the moisture out of you. On hot days, avoid it as much as possible, especially when combined with alcohol.
- Strenuous Exercise & Outdoor Activities– With the temperature soaring in summer and many summer actives happening in the great outdoors, it creates the perfect storm for dehydration.
Tips on Staying Healthy & Hydrated!
The best way to avoid dehydration is to develop a hydration routine. We’ve all heard that humans need to consume at least eight glasses of water a day. But that number may be way too low. On average, men should consume up to 13 glasses of water each day. Women should drink up to ten.
When your body loses water, it also loses critical electrolytes and minerals, such as sodium, magnesium, and potassium. We suggest adding KSPtabs to your water to help replenish these electrolytes.
Adding two to three KSPtabs to your daily hydration routine optimizes your water and provides your body with much-needed minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes. With excessive heat, it is not uncommon to use at least 4-6 KSPtabs per day. KSPtabs taste great and make your water intake something you’ll crave even more throughout the day.
KSPtabs are tablets that quickly dissolve in your water or favorite beverage. They’re developed to help hydrate your body, reduce your risk of dehydration, and provide your body with the electrolytes that are nature’s stone inhibitors and promote kidney health.
Additionally, if you suffer from kidney stones or gout, KSPtabs help reduce crystal formation and help neutralize your urine pH; reducing your risk of stone formation and/or gout flare-ups.
Want to order some KSPtabs to help keep your body healthy and hydrated this summer, click here.