Summer is here, bringing fun, sun, and heat! The warm summer weather feels terrific, but it also marks the start of kidney stone season. Dehydration caused by summer heat and activities is one of the leading causes of kidney stones. Our bodies contain approximately 60% percent water, and the increased sweating leads to dehydration. Staying hydrated in the summertime is essential to your health.
What are the signs of dehydration?
- Decreased urination & dark colored urine– If it’s been more than two hours since you’ve had to urinate, it’s a good sign that you are dehydrated! Another key indicator of dehydration is the color of your urine. Remember, dark urine is a late indication of your hydration status, so you are already behind on your fluids. Clear or light-yellow urine is always best.
- Muscle Weakness & Cramping– When you become dehydrated, your body loses vital electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium. This loss causes your muscle to “seize up” or cramp. It can also cause your muscles to underperform and feel weak.
- Thirst– This is your body’s first way of telling you it needs water. If you are thirsty, get something to drink!
- Dry Mouth– Keep in mind, dry mouth = dry body!
- Headache & Dizziness– A mild headache is one of the first symptoms of dehydration. When the body is dehydrated, the brain can temporarily shrink from fluid loss. The shrinking can cause the brain to temporarily pull away from the skull resulting in a headache. This same scenario also can cause dizziness.
- Dry Skin– When you are dehydrated, your body conserves water for your vital organs. One of the first places that it takes water from is your epidermis, aka your skin! If you want healthy glowing skin, proper hydration is the best medicine.
- Sleepiness & Fatigue– Dehydration can stress your body out, and your body can’t properly rest when it is under stress. So, if you want to catch those coveted ZZZ’s, stay hydrated!
Other causes of dehydration
- Strenuous Exercise & Outdoor Activities– Soaring temperatures and activities taking place in the great outdoors create the perfect storm for dehydration.
- Alcohol– While an ice-cold cocktail, complete with a little paper umbrella, might sound refreshing on the beach, your body doesn’t feel the same way. That’s because alcohol only fuels your dehydration. If you can’t barbecue without a brew, drink a bottle of water between each alcoholic beverage to stay hydrated. Alcohol is a diuretic and can make you expel 50% more fluids than you are taking in! The lack of fluids causes the dreaded hangovers the day after.
- Caffeine– Like alcohol, caffeine sucks the moisture out of you. On hot days, avoid it as much as possible, especially when combined with alcohol.
Develop a Hydration Routine!
Developing a hydration routine is an excellent way to avoid dehydration! We’ve all heard we need to drink at least eight glasses of water a day. But that number may be way too low. On average, men should consume up to 13 glasses of water each day. Women should drink up to ten. Another rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight of water in ounces. So, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should be drinking 80 oz of water a day. Add more depending on how active you are! You know your body best, so find the hydration plan that works best for you and your lifestyle.
Just add KSPtabs!
Adding two to three KSPtabs to your daily hydration routine optimizes your water and provides your body with the much-needed minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes you need. With excessive heat, it is not uncommon to up the use to at least 4-6 KSPtabs per day. KSPtabs taste great and make you crave water throughout the day instead of feeling like a chore. KSPtabs are quick-dissolving tablets that you add to your water or favorite beverage. They’re developed to help hydrate your body, reduce your risk of dehydration, and provide your body with the electrolytes that are nature’s stone inhibitors and promote kidney health. Additionally, if you suffer from kidney stones or gout, KSPtabs help reduce crystal formation and help neutralize your urine pH; reducing your risk of stone formation or gout flare-ups.
Want to keep your body healthy and hydrated this summer? Click here to order KSPtabs.